The Carbon Footprint is the total amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere by a person, family, building, organization, or company. Greenhouse gases are those that can absorb and emit infrared radiation in the Earth’s atmosphere: water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), ozone (O3).
Typical Persons Carbon FootPrint
|Gas, Oil, and Coal||15%|
|Carbon in Car Manufacturing||7%|
|Food and Drink||5%|
|Clothes and Personnel Effects||4%|
- Consume less energy by using high-efficiency Energy Star appliances, lightbulbs, water heaters.
- Unplugging electronics when not in use
- Buy locally produced food and switch to a more vegetarian diet
- Make energy efficient transportation choices – use public transportation, buy fuel-efficient vehicles, drive slower
- Conserve water
- Recycle paper, plastics, aluminum, etc.